French Onion Soup Recipe Picture
Recipe Preparation Time
- 10 minutes preparation time
- 50 minutes cooking time
- 211 Kcal per portion
- 13.2g fat per portion of which 8.1g is saturated
- 4 servings
- Suitable for freezing
- Butter 40g (1/oz)
- Onions 3, peeled and cut into fine rings
- Beef stock 900m1 (11/2., pints)
- Dry sherry 2 tsp (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- French bread 4 slices, 2.5cm (11n) thick
- Cheddar cheese 50g (2oz), grated
In a large saucepan, melt the butter and fry the onions gently, until soft. This will take 10-15 minutes.
Pour the stock into the saucepan, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 35-40 minutes.
Add the sherry, if using, and season tc taste. Pour into a flameproof dish or individual dishes and float the bread on top. Sprinkle with cheese and brown under a hot grill.
- Cooking the onions really slowly adds a sweetness to the soup. Do not let the onions or butter burn or you will get a bitter taste.
- Go easy on the seasoning, especially if using a ready-made stock as they can be very salty.